Sports Rehabilitation with Diploma in Massage
Do you have an interest in the prevention and treatment of injuries in Sports? This course will prepare you to become a massage therapist or help you to progress to Higher Education courses in Sports Rehabilitation, Sports Massage in Ireland, UK, and abroad.
QQI Level 5
Sports, Recreation & Exercise
VTCT (ITEC) Level 3 Diploma in Holistic Massage
This is a one year course.
Leaving Certificate or equivalent. Biology would be an advantage. Mature applicants welcome. All applicants are interviewed and places are awarded on suitability.
The following subjects may be offered:
Level 3 Diploma in Holistic Massage
The main aim of the VTCT (ITEC) Level 3 Diploma in Holistic Massage is to enable learners to gain the necessary practical and theoretical skills in order to provide massage treatments to the general public and to gain employment in the massage industry. This qualification is suitable for learners aged 16 and over and is designed to provide occupational competence at level 3. It also provides a sound platform into further training at level 3 and 4. The Diploma Covers the following Units / Modules
- iUBT432 Holistic massage
- iUBT434 Professional conduct and business awareness
- UBT435 Anatomy and physiology
Sports and Exercise Injury Prevention
You will learn the practical skills and knowledge which may be used in the prevention or treatment of different sports injuries. The module is weighted heavily on practical demonstration along with assignments and an end of year exam.
Exercise and Fitness
You will gain knowledge and instructional skills to assist an exercise instructor in the delivery of a safe and effective exercise programme or class.
Sports Anatomy & Physiology
You will learn about every aspect of how the body works. How each system works (e.g. the digestive system, the nervous system, the musculoskeletal system etc ); how different systems depend on each other to function, what happens when the body doesn't work properly and most importantly what is needed for the body to remain healthy.
Body Massage and Figure Analysis
The purpose of this module is to equip the learner with the knowledge, skill and competence to work autonomously and independently in carrying out figure analysis and body massage treatments.
Sport and Recreation Studies
This is a broad introduction to the whole area of sport, recreation, exercise, leisure and play. We study history and philosophy as well as industry structure and current issues affecting sport.
The purpose of this unit is to equip the learner with the knowledge, skill and competence in the nutritional composition of food and the effects of food and nutrition on an individual’s health and personal well-being.
The principles of excellent customer service for the Fitness industry. The practical application of good customer service practice in professional settings online and in person. This equips the learner with the knowledge, skill and competence to provide effective customer service within a work, social or voluntary environment, operating independently while under general supervision.
You will learn how to obtain work experience by preparing for interviews, researching your chosen field, future employment and/or Higher Education. Partake in relevant vocational work following all policies and protocols associated with the industry.
Master Taping Course
The Master taping Course is a 1day course , designed for students and sports coaches looking to increase their knowledge and develop the professional skills required to identify common injury sites and to offer appropriate intervention for the preparation and treatment of the site using taping and strapping.
This course will teach you effective sports taping and strapping techniques for injury prevention whilst teaching you how to minimize the chance of further damage when an injury occurs as well as tips on how to aid the healing process.
Gyms, health clubs, sporting facilities or spas.
For full details on progression opportunities see these links:
Cork Colleges Progression Scheme
- MTU: Recreation and Leisure Management
- MTU: Bachelor of Science (Honours) in Health and Exercise Sciences with Massage Therapy Course (MT912)
- SETU Carlow: BSc (Hons) in Sport Rehabilitation and Athletic Therapy (CW188)
- SETU Carlow: Higher Certificate in Physiology and Health Science (CW106)
Class of 2017/2018
- Ciaran Geaney, MTU - BBus Recreation and Leisure Management
- James Maher, MTU - BBus Recreation and Leisure Management
- Naomi O'Leary, Carlow IT - BSc Sports Rehabilitation and Athletic Therapy
- Liam Rice, Queen Margaret University, Edinburgh, Scotland - BSc (Hons) Podiatry
Class of 2016/2017 Year 1
- Charlotte Mahony, Trinity College Dublin – BSc Physiotherapy
- Michael Ryan, University of Limerick – BSc Physiotherapy
- Leighann O’Shea, GMIT – BSc Sports and Exercise Science
- Barry O’Connell, Carlow IT – Higher Certificate in Physiology and Health Science
- Ellen Twomey, Carlow IT – BSc Honours Sports Rehabilitation and Athletic Therapy
- Aine O’Donovan, UWE Bristol – BSc Sports Rehabilitation
- Aaron Hennessy, UCC - BA Arts
Class of 2016/2017 Year 2
- Laura Fitzgerald, Carlow IT – BSc Honours Sports Rehabilitation and Athletic Therapy
- Luke Conroy, Carlow IT – BSc Honours Sports Rehabilitation and Athletic Therapy
- Scott O’Connell, Salford University – Sports Injury Rehabilitation
- William O’Flaherty, Salford University – Sports Injury Rehabilitation
- Andrew Harrington, MTU – BBus Accounting
Class of 2015/2016
- Owen Connolly - UCC Sports Studies and Physical Education (BEd Hons)
- Jason Cott - Bournemouth University Clinical Exercise Science BSc (Hons)
- Victoria West - Anglo-European College of Chiropractic MChiro (Hons)
Class of 2014/2015
- Jake Inglis and Dylan Walsh - Cardiff Metropolitan University - Sports Conditioning Rehabilitation and Massage - BSc (Hons).
Students can obtain work experience with physiotherapists, chiropractors, osteopaths, massage therapists, leisure centres, etc.