Note: TY Course shadowing as part of work experience is available for this course.
Progess from Dance 1. Students are taught to the highest level and are expected to advance and further develop the skills and training from Dance 1. This is a high energy, physical and creative year. Learn how to work collaboratively with other individuals and to discover a signature movement style. Students advance choreography skills for group or solo work personal style and group dance pieces. Live performance and teaching dance are the focus of the course. Performance skills are enhanced by preparation for auditions and to show pieces. All students will take ISTD Exams. Graduates from this course progress colleges in the UK, Europe (Dance Institute for the Arts in Barcelona) and America. Some graduates may continue to dance professionally or to teach in Ireland and abroad.
This is a one year course and students on successful completion of Dance 2 may progress directly to one of the Further/Higher Education colleges in London or elsewhere.
Leaving Certificate or equivalent - with exceptions made for talented students. A high degree of motivation and a passionate interest in dance are required. All applicants are auditioned and places are awarded on suitability.
Previous experience essential.
Classical Ballet, pointe work, pas de deux, contemporary, modern, jazz, choreography craft, hip-hop, improvisation and yoga.
Dance Performance & Production - examines the making and performing process of dance.
Work Experience – is undertaken with a professional dance company or school.
Career opportunities exist for dancers in ballet companies, contemporary dance companies, musical theatre, West End, teaching, choreographing, producing and music videos.
- Doreen Bird College of Performing Arts
- Rambert Dance School
- Laine Theatre Arts
- London Contemporary Dance School
- Bodyworks Dance Studios
- London Studio Centre
- Urdang Performing Arts
- Millenium Performing Arts
- Stellaman Performing Arts
Past Graduates Include:
- Jane Kellaghan: Director – crux Dance Theatre
- Claire Rigney: Musical Theatre Artist
- Lorcan O’ Neill: – Contemporary Dance Artist
- Richard Murphy: Chicago - West End, London
- Mary Wycherley –Lecturer, University of Limerick.
- Darragh O’Leary: - West End, London
- Antoinette Casserley: Director, Galway Ballet School
- Cormac Murphy: – Ballet Theatre UK
- Amy O'Sullivan: Principal Teacher AFAD
- Claire Skelly: Dancer, Cork City Ballet
- Amanda Duke: Teacher, Donna's Dance Studio.
Students will have the opportunity to work with a wide range of national and international choreographers and dance companies including Cork City Ballet and cruX Dance Company. Guest teachers include Yuri Demakov from the Bolshoi Ballet, Prima Ballerina Chika Temma and regular West End and Broadway stars.